Thursday, November 7, 2013

Post Service



            There a many themes that I have noticed in my service learning project. One major theme is the impact on language in communication. Of course sharing the same language with someone is important but even little variations can throw off communication. I noticed that in the adolescent’s inability to concentrate on what someone was saying if they couldn’t perfectly understand it. Another theme I noticed is that as an American culture, we are very ethnocentric. We believe that our way is the right and only way, especially when it comes to social matters. In many situations I experienced with these teenagers, they were forced to assimilate to the American culture. They didn’t get the chance or they didn’t feel it was necessary to keep their own culture alive and to share it. Their identities were at a stage of exploration and trying to figure out where they fit in.
            This experience has a great impact on my intercultural interactions. I never realized before how big of a transition immigrants face when they enter a new culture. They are bombarded by the fact that they now have to make a life in this new country but expected to learn the language and costumes within weeks. The negative connotations of being an immigrant also play a part which in reality we all were immigrants at one point.  These experiences have shaped my beliefs about other cultures and have learned to appreciate diversity. It also has made me sensitive to the issues that face new immigrants and the ability of a simple smile to impact someone’s day.

No comments:

Post a Comment